Lone Star Texas
The City of Lone Star is located on U.S. Highway 259 six miles south of Daingerfield in southern Morris County in Upper East Texas. Other nearby communities include Jefferson, to the southeast, Linden to the east, and Pittsburg to the west.
Ellison Creek Reservoir, also known as Lone Star Lake, runs in a north-south orientation, just to the west of the city. The lake occupies about 1,500 acres and has a maximum depth of 40 feet. The most popular fish species caught in the lake are Largemouth Bass, White Bass, Spotted Bass and Channel Catfish.
The good fishing on the lake has resulted in numerous bass clubs holding club tournaments here each year. The lake's record bass was caught on February 25, 2017, a Largemouth Bass that weighed 11.45 pounds and was 24.5 inches long. It was weighed at the Scenic View Motel, Marina & RV Park's store, and then released.
Further to the south is Lake O' the Pines. The lake is located on Big Cypress Creek in the Cypress River Basin, 25 miles northeast of Longview in Marion, Morris, Upshur, and Camp counties. It has a surface area of 16,919 acres, and a maximum depth of 49.5 feet.
Daingerfield State Park, about 8 miles to the north of Lone Star, is a 506 acre recreational area, and includes the 80 acre Lake Daingerfield. The park features the Rustling Leaves Nature Trail, camping, fishing, hiking and more, all nestled in colorful groups of maples, gums and oaks.
The City of Lone Star can be reached at phone 903.656.2311.
Lone Star Website Resources
|In 2010, Lone Star had a population of 1,580 residents|
|A quiet scene on Lone Star Lake in Upper East Texas|
Interactive Map of Lone Star (courtesy of Google)
Map of Upper East Texas
Other East Texas Cities and Attractions
While visiting the Lone Star area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- Jefferson - antiques, Jay Gould's railroad car, Jefferson Carnegie Library, steam train rides, steamboats on Caddo Lake, B&Bs
- Gladewater - antique capitol of East Texas, Gusher Days, Roundup Rodeo, Helen Lee Daffodil Gardens
- Linden - a "Music Friendly Community", rodeos, golf touraments, Old Pond Museum
- Daingerfield - popular Daingerfield State Park, Morris Theatre, The Greer Farm
- Gilmer - East Texas Yamboree, Historic Upshur Museum, Lake Gilmer
- Kilgore - home of the East Texas Oil Museum and Kilgore College
- Joinerville Texas - Daisy Bradford oil discovery monuments and Great East Texas Oilfield markers, Gaston Museum
- Longview - Gregg County Fair & Exposition, Longview Museum of Fine Arts, R.G. LeTourneau Museum, Great Texas Balloon Race, historic buildings, shopping, restaurants
- Marshall - Michelson Museum of Art, Starr Family home State Historic Park, Harrison County Historical Museum, The Weisman, Ginocchio Hotel, T&P Railroad Museum, Christmas Wonderland of Lights
- Carthage - Texas Country Music Hall of Fame, East Texas Oil & Gas Blast, Piney Woods Quilt Festival Rode Jamboree
- Tyler - Municipal Rose Garden, TJC Planetarium, Caldwell Zoo, Tyler Museum of Art, Lake Tyler, Rose Rudman Recreational Trail, Cotton Belt Depot, Goodman-LeGrand House
- Lake Tyler - swimming, boating, fishing, skiing close-in to Tyler
- Lake Palestine - Boating, fishing, skiing and camping, just south of Tyler
- Lindale - Old Mill Pond Museum, Hideaway Lake, Miranda Lambert Store & Red 55 Winery
- Mineola - Mineola Nature Preserve, Bigfoot Paddling Trail
- Lake Fork - At 27,264 acres and 315 miles of shoreline, Lake Fork was designed to be a premier bass fishing lake and currently holds records for 34 out of the Top 50 largemouth bass caught in Texas.
Travel Information for the Lone Star Area
Scenic View Motel, Marina & RV Park
This facility is very conveniently located deep in the beautiful Piney Woods of East Texas, and situated directly on Lone Star Lake.
It is about half an hour from IH-30 to the north and the same from IH-20 to the south. The property is at the edge of the city of Lone Star, Texas which has eating establishments, a nice grocery store, and numerous retail outlets. In addition, there are hiking trails, birding locations, and other nature activity areas that are very close by. It is a terrific location and yet is still away from all the hustle and bustle of “normal” life.
Visitors enjoy fishing, swimming, water skiing, tubing, wakeboarding, riding a jet ski, and cruising the lake on a barge or in a boat.
Annual events include the blessing of the boats, Christmas lights & festivities, July 4th fireworks, and more.
108 South Shore Drive, Lone Star, Texas 75688 | 903.656.2272