The House of the Seasons, one the many fine lodging experiences in Jefferson, Texas
It is located on U.S. Highway 59 and Texas Highway 49. The Jefferson Zip Code is 75657, and its Area Code is 903. Its population is about 2,000 residents.
Jefferson became a port of entry into the Republic of Texas and then the State of Texas. It was a major shipping port for agricultural products, especially cotton. Obstructions were removed from Big Cypress Bayou in 1845, allowing steamboats to reach Jefferson from New Orleans. Jefferson’s "Golden Era" as a steamboat port lasted from 1845 until 1875.
Attractions and Things to Do in Jefferson
Today, Jefferson is a tourism center, with popular attractions including Jay Gould's railroad car, the Sterne Fountain, Jefferson Carnegie Library, Excelsior House, and the bayous formed by Big Cypress Bayou located in and around the city.
A trip to Jefferson is a journey back through time to a bustling 19th century riverport. Jefferson is a great locale with antique shops lining the original brick streets, horse-drawn carriage tours, and boat trips down the bayou.
|at the Jefferson Travel Guide at TripAdvisor|
Experience the Historic Jefferson Railway, home tours, Christmas parade and festivities, the Jefferson Historical Museum, flea markets, and rummage sales. On nearby Caddo Lake, ride the Graceful Ghost paddlewheel steamboat and paddle the kayak and canoe trails at Caddo Lake State Park.
The Christmas season is Jefferson is full of events, such as the Christmas parade, candlelight tour of homes, Nauty & Nice Pub Crawl, the Christmas B&B Crawl, and Wassail Walk.
|about things to do in Jefferson at TripAdvisor|
Hotel and B&B Information for Jefferson
Visitors to Jefferson can choose between a wide variety of excellent B&Bs and other lodging. Jefferson offers hotels and 22 bed & breakfasts, including those listed.
Dining and Restaurants in Jefferson
Those visiting and touring the Jefferson area have a wide choice of dining experiences, with over 25 restaurants to choose from! From Riverport BarBCue to the Austin Street Bistro, from the Bayou Bakery & Cafe to the Stillwater Inn, the options are plentiful.
|about dining and restaurants in Jefferson at TripAdvisor|
Photos of Jefferson Texas
Jefferson Texas Historical Museum (staff photo)
The old stone Texaco gas station in Jefferson Texas (staff photo)
Scene in downtown Jefferson Texas ... "The Golden Era" (staff photo)
Uncertain Texas ... close to Jefferson TX and Caddo Lake (staff photo)
The popular Jefferson General Store at 113 E. Austin Street, downtown ... don't miss it!
visit the Jefferson General Store website for information
The Graceful Ghost steamboat on tour in Caddo Lake ... visit the Graceful Ghost website for tour info
The Government Ditch ... in the Caddo Lake area
Miles of Spanish Moss along the Government Ditch near Jefferson, Texas
Texas state line concrete marker near Waskom (staff photo)
Map of Jefferson Texas
More Jefferson Information
Other Area Tourism and Attractions
While visiting the Jefferson area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions around East Texas:
- Gladewater - antique capitol of East Texas, Gusher Days, Roundup Rodeo, Helen Lee Daffodil Gardens
- Caddo Lake State Park
- Gilmer - East Texas Yamboree, Historic Upshur Museum, Lake Gilmer
- Kilgore - home of the East Texas Oil Museum and Kilgore College
- Joinerville Texas - Daisy Bradford oil discovery monuments and Great East Texas Oilfield markers, Gaston Museum
- Longview - Gregg County Fair & Exposition, Longview Museum of Fine Arts, R.G. LeTourneau Museum, Great Texas Balloon Race, historic buildings, shopping, restaurants
- Marshall - Michelson Museum of Art, Starr Family home State Historic Park, Harrison County Historical Museum, The Weisman, Ginocchio Hotel, T&P Railroad Museum, Christmas Wonderland of Lights
- Carthage - Texas Country Music Hall of Fame, East Texas Oil & Gas Blast, Piney Woods Quilt Festival Rode Jamboree
- Henderson - Heritage Syrup Festival, Howard Dickinson House Museum, Depot Museum, antique shopping, Historic Downtown Square
- Canton - First Monday Trade Days, Texas Horse Park, Splash Kingdom Water Park
- Athens - East Texas Arboretum, Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center, Cain Center and the Athens Scuba Park
- Nacogdoches - Spring azalea trails, Ruby Mize Azalea Garden, Mast Arboretum
- Rusk - Texas State Railroad, Cherokee Civic Theatre, Grapeland Drive Thru Safari
- Lufkin - Ellen Trout Zoo, Cotton Square Heritage Park, First Street Arts Center, Texas Forestry Museum
- Jacksonville - Tomato Fest, ATV Mud Nationals, Tops in Texas Rodeo
- Tyler - Municipal Rose Garden, TJC Planetarium, Caldwell Zoo, Tyler Museum of Art, Brookshire's Museum & Country Store, Lake Tyler, Rose Rudman Recreational Trail, Cotton Belt Depot, Goodman-LeGrand House