Located about 50 miles southeast of Tyler on Texas Highway 64 at its intersection with U.S. Highway 259 and Highway 79 is the City of Henderson, the county seat of Rusk County.
The population of Henderson is about 13,000 residents. Elevation is 512 feet above sea level.
The town was named for James Pinckney Henderson, the first governor of the state of Texas. The downtown business district was designed around the courthouse square, and grew into an important commercial center for the area.
Henderson Texas Tourism and Attractions
Downtown features an active Henderson Main Street Program, and has a number of antique stores and historic markers in the National Register Downtown Historic Square. The first building in Henderson was constructed in 1838.
Upscale shopping, eateries, antiques, floral, dolls, custom jewelry and more are found in stores and boutiques downtown. Henderson also has a variety of restaurants and shopping on Highway US 79/259, the main artery through town.
Henderson features a number of activities and events, such as the Heritage Syrup Festival staged during the 2nd Saturday of November, the Antique Tractor Show, Fourth of July parade, and Downtown at Christmas.
It has both spring and fall festivals, and a Christmas parade and home tour. Popular attractions include the Howard Dickinson House Museum, the Depot Museum Complex of nine buildings which houses a county history museum and a children's discovery center, and the Monte Verdi Plantation.
The countryside around Henderson features rolling hills and many lakes, and wildflower trails dot the surrounding area. The trails are usually at their peaks between April 15 - May 31 of each year.
Just west of Henderson is Joinerville, site of the discovery of the great East Texas Oil Field in 1930 at the Joiner Daisy Bradford No. 3 well. A popular historical destination is the Gaston Museum in Joinerville.
Henderson Texas Motels and Accommodations
Henderson has several motels, hotels and other accommodations. Over 35 restaurants are also located in Henderson.
In addition, there are other accommodations in nearby Tyler including a Courtyard by Marriott, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Select, Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Country Inn & Suites, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn, and others.
Photographs of Henderson Texas ... courtesy of the East Texas Photo Staff
Downtown Henderson Texas
Downtown Henderson Texas
Rusk County Texas Library, downtown Henderson Texas
Rusk County Courthouse, Henderson Texas
Rusk County Tax Office, Henderson Texas
Mural, Downtown Henderson Texas
Methodist Church in downtown Henderson Texas
One of many old, elegant homes in Henderson Texas
Day Trips from Henderson Texas
While visiting Henderson and the Tyler area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- Jefferson - antiques, Jay Gould's railroad car, Jefferson Carnegie Library, steam train rides, steamboats on Caddo Lake, B&Bs
- Gladewater - antique capitol of East Texas, Gusher Days, Roundup Rodeo, Helen Lee Daffodil Gardens
- Gilmer - East Texas Yamboree, Historic Upshur Museum, Lake Gilmer
- Kilgore - home of the East Texas Oil Museum and Kilgore College
- Joinerville Texas - Daisy Bradford oil discovery monuments and Great East Texas Oilfield markers, Gaston Museum
- Longview - Gregg County Fair & Exposition, Longview Museum of Fine Arts, R.G. LeTourneau Museum, Great Texas Balloon Race, historic buildings, shopping, restaurants
- Marshall - Michelson Museum of Art, Starr Family home State Historic Park, Harrison County Historical Museum, The Weisman, Ginocchio Hotel, T&P Railroad Museum, Christmas Wonderland of Lights
- Carthage - Texas Country Music Hall of Fame, East Texas Oil & Gas Blast, Piney Woods Quilt Festival Rode Jamboree
- Canton - First Monday Trade Days, Texas Horse Park, Splash Kingdom Water Park
- Nacogdoches - Spring azalea trails, Ruby Mize Azalea Garden, Mast Arboretum
- Rusk - Texas State Railroad, Cherokee Civic Theatre, Grapeland Drive Thru Safari
- Lufkin - Ellen Trout Zoo, Cotton Square Heritage Park, First Street Arts Center, Texas Forestry Museum
- Jacksonville - Tomato Fest, ATV Mud Nationals, Tops in Texas Rodeo
- Tyler - Municipal Rose Garden, TJC Planetarium, Caldwell Zoo, Tyler Museum of Art, Lake Tyler, Rose Rudman Recreational Trail, Cotton Belt Depot, Goodman-LeGrand House
- Lake Tyler - swimming, boating, fishing, skiing close-in to Tyler
- Lake Palestine - Boating, fishing, skiing and camping, just south of Tyler
Historic Postcards from Henderson Texas
Historic postcard of the Circle Restaurant and Drive-In, Henderson, Texas
Historic postcard of the traffic circle in Henderson Texas
Historic postcard of the Hotel Randolph, Henderson, Texas
Historic postcard of Woodlawn Hills Court, Henderson Texas