Canton Texas and First Monday Trade Days
Today's permanent population is about 4,229 residents according to the 2020 Census. Five exits from I-20 serve Canton, with Exit 527, TX Highway 19, being the most popular for First Monday visitors and shoppers.
Canton is a Texas Main Street City, a National Main Street City, and a National Preserve America City. The historic downtown district features unique shops, restaurants, galleries and shopping open year-round, not just on First Monday flea market weekends.
First Monday Trade Days
First Monday is considered the largest free flea market in the United States, and is held on Thursday - Sunday preceding the first Monday of each month.
Up to 100,000 visitors can shop there in a given weekend.
This popular flea market is open one weekend a month and provides spaces for 6,000 vendors located on hundreds of acres.
It has become known by shoppers from all across Texas, Louisiana and Oklahoma as THE place to buy home decor, furnishings, antiques, clothing, crafts, jewelry, gifts, and collectibles.
And it is a favorite of vendors, dealers, craftsmen and artists alike as the perfect venue to market their wares.
Visit our new website
for details about First Monday venues, market dates, parking, lodging, dining, attractions, the City of Canton and much more information!
View our First Monday Market Date calendar below for the next weekend.
Scenes Around First Monday Trade Days
Distances to First Monday Trade Days from Nearby Texas Cities
Dallas to Canton - 61 miles, 1:02 travel time
Arlington - 81 miles, 1:29 travel time
Plano - 68 miles, 1:40 travel time
Ft. Worth - 92 miles, 1:38 travel time
Houston to Canton - 210 miles, 3:55 travel time
San Antonio - 295 miles, 5:14 travel time
Austin - 217 miles, 4:00 travel time
Abilene - 240 miles, 4:10 travel time
Waco - 116 miles, 2:15 travel time
Texarkana - 144 miles, 2:30 travel time
Shreveport - 131 miles, 2:18 travel time
Driving Directions from Tyler to Canton for First Monday Trade Days
There are two main routes to reach First Monday Trade Days when traveling from Tyler to Canton.
Texas Highway 64: is the shortest and most direct route, however it is a two-lane road. It is about 38 miles from downtown Tyler, and takes about 45 minutes.
U.S. 69 & I-20: An alternative four-lane route is to take U.S. Highway 69 north from Tyler up to Interstate Highway I-20, and proceed west on I-20 to Canton Exit 527. This route is about 41 miles, and typically takes about 52 minutes.
Driving from the Dallas Area to Canton
The main route to reach First Monday Trade Days when traveling from Dallas or other Metroplex cities is via Interstate I-20. Driving time from downtown Dallas is about one hour.
Exit from I-20 at one of two exits:
- Exit 523 - Highway 64: If you didn't stop at Bucee's at I-20 & US-80, there is a fairly new Duke's Travel Plaza at this exit, offering gasoline, rest rooms and places to eat. Follow Highway 64 east to downtown Canton, and turn left onto Highway 19 (Trade Days Boulevard).
- Exit 527 - Highway 19: This is the primary exit for Canton; at the top of the ramp, turn right onto Highway 19 (Trade Days Boulevard). The main areas of First Monday will be on your right.
First Monday Trade Days Flea Market Dates for 2022
The upcoming Thursday - Friday - Saturday - Sunday market dates for Canton First Monday Trade Days have been set for 2022:
|January||December 30, 2021 - January 2, 2022|
|February||February 3-6, 2022|
|March||March 3-6, 2022|
|April||March 31 - April 3, 2022|
|May||April 28 - May 1, 2022|
|June||June 2-5, 2022|
|July||June 30 - July 3, 2022|
|August||July 28 - 31, 2022|
|September||September 1-4, 2022|
|October||September 29 - October 2, 2022|
|November||November 3-6, 2022|
|December||December 1-4, 2022|
For current, up-to-date information on opening dates and policies, we encourage you to contact the official owners and operators of First Monday Trade Days.
Canton Hotels and Motels
Several hotel and motel properties are located in Canton. We have no affiliation with any property, but provide the following reviews at TripAdvisor to give you a starting point for selecting your lodging accommodations:
- Best Western Inn
- Motel 6
- Quality Inn and Suites
- Days Inn Canton
- Super 8 Canton
- Mill Creek Ranch RV and Cottage Resort
- The Mountain
Lodging in Nearby Tyler
Many visitors to First Monday also choose the wide variety and greater number of hotels and motels available in nearby Tyler which offers hotel properties such as Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn, Holiday Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Homewood Suites, Staybridge Suites and other popular brand names.
Canton Area Bed & Breakfasts and other Lodging
Several B&B and lodging properties are located in the Canton area. We have no affiliation with any property, but provide the following list to give you a starting point for selecting your accommodations:
Acorn Hideaway Frontier Suites - Nine B&Bs & suites on "The Mountain" in Canton near the Old Mill Marketplace - newly renovated in 2021. Each of the Acorn Hideaway Frontier Suites features its own unique theme that is photo-worthy while making memories with friends and family, and shopping at First Monday and attending festivals in Canton. Choose from suites like the R & R General Store Frontier Suite, Sweet Dreams Confectionery Suite, the Trail's End Corral and other well-appointed suites and rooms. Phone 903.287.6076
The Silver Spur Resort - many lodging options, from a ranch-style bed & breakfast to private cabins with a lake view to specialty “tiny houses” to a KOA RV campground. Located about 1 mile from Trade Days, at 13785 State Hwy 19, just north of I-20. Phone: (903) 420-1400
The Dockside Cottages - 542 E. Dallas on The Mountain in Canton. This B & B lodging is nestled among the tall cedars and pines on The Mountain, and dotted along unexpected mountainside trails. Consisting of fifteen (15) separate guest rooms in six (6) different cottages, The Dockside Cottages can accommodate up to fifty-six (56) guests. Phone: (214) 463-8463
Canton Links and Resources
- Van Zandt County
- City of Canton
- Canton Chamber of Commerce
- Canton Visitor's Bureau
- Canton Main Street
- Canton Economic Development
- First Monday Trade Days official website (sponsored by the City of Canton)
- First Monday Trade Days on Facebook (sponsored by the City of Canton)
Other Attractions, Events and Things to Do in/near Canton Texas
There are a variety of attractions and things to do in and around Canton, all month long, and throughout the year!
|Attractions & Things to Do in Canton
Traveler reviews and photos at TripAdvisor
- Canton Autumn Stroll Festival - held each October in downtown Canton. It's known for great food, live music, a sanctioned BBQ contest, fantastic vendors, fun kid’s events, and games. Visitors love the fashion show, local group presentations, and more, all on the beautiful downtown square.
- Canton Balloon Fest - two day annual event in July at the First Monday Grounds, hosted by the Canton Visitor Bureau. The festival has grown and now includes vendors of all kinds, great food, and art vendors showing off their works. Family fun activities are abundant, with bounce houses, car shows and the very popular 5K glow run on Friday night. Each year the festival highlights great East Texas Music with non-stop music all weekend.
- Van Zandt County Fair and Rodeo - late March and early April. Livestock show, fair pageant, agriscience fair, horticulture events, arts & crafts show, rodeo and more!
- Van Zandt County Bluegrass Festival - lots of music, and more, in March at the Canton Civic Center.
- Texas Rose Horse Park - only a few miles east of Canton, on Highway 110, just off I-20 at Exit 548.
- Splash Kingdom Water Park - Just to the west of Canton on I-20, a great place for family fun, especially on those hot Texas days!
Near Canton is the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center in Athens
- Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center south of Canton in Athens
- Shopping the quaint shops and boutiques around the downtown Canton square, year-round.
- Paul Michael Company - a regular stop we make when shopping for home furnishings, any day of the year in Canton!
- Van Zandt Country Club - For golfing enthusiasts, along with the Twin Lakes Golf Course and Garden Valley Golf Resort
- Ben Wheeler - East of Canton on FM 279 is the small, historic community of , known as the home of the Feral Hog Festival in the fall
The famous pink hog bus on parade in downtown Ben Wheeler, Texas
- Edom - A few miles further east, at the intersection of FM 279 and FM 314. It's a lovely small community of restaurants, art galleries, shops, farms, retreats, B&Bs and more. Edom is also the home to spring and fall art shows well known in all of Texas.
|Edom Historical Society Museum
||Lots to see and do in Edom!