Avinger is located in southwestern Cass County Texas on Texas Highways 155 and 49, south of Hughes Springs, southwest of Linden, and northwest of Jefferson.
Interactive Map of Avinger Texas (courtesy of Google)
Map of Upper East Texas
Lake O' The Pines
Brushy Creek Park at Lake O' the Pines
Lake O' the Pines is located on Big Cypress Creek in the Cypress River Basin, 25 miles northeast of Longview in Marion, Morris, Upshur, and Camp counties. It has a surface area of 16,919 acres, and a maximum depth of 49.5 feet. The lake was impounded in 1956.
This lake's diverse fish community offers many angling opportunities. White bass are native to the Cypress River Basin; the population is abundant and contains many legal-size fishes. Crappie, also popular with anglers, are quite abundant with large proportions of legal-size fish available.
Read more about the Lake O' the Pines
Lake Lone Star
Ellison Creek Reservoir, also known as Lone Star Lake, runs in a north-south orientation, just to the west of the City of Lone Star. The lake occupies about 1,500 acres and has a maximum depth of 40 feet. The most popular fish species caught in the lake are Largemouth Bass, White Bass, Spotted Bass and Channel Catfish.
The lake is located on U.S. Highway 259 northwest of Avinger in southern Morris County in Upper East Texas.
|A quiet scene on Lone Star Lake in Upper East Texas
More East Texas Attractions
While visiting the Avinger area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- Jefferson - antiques, Jay Gould's railroad car, Jefferson Carnegie Library, steam train rides, steamboats on Caddo Lake, B&Bs
- Gladewater - antique capitol of East Texas, Gusher Days, Roundup Rodeo, Helen Lee Daffodil Gardens
- Gilmer - East Texas Yamboree, Historic Upshur Museum, Lake Gilmer
- Kilgore - home of the East Texas Oil Museum and Kilgore College
- Joinerville Texas - Daisy Bradford oil discovery monuments and Great East Texas Oilfield markers, Gaston Museum
- Longview - Gregg County Fair & Exposition, Longview Museum of Fine Arts, R.G. LeTourneau Museum, Great Texas Balloon Race, historic buildings, shopping, restaurants
- Marshall - Michelson Museum of Art, Starr Family home State Historic Park, Harrison County Historical Museum, The Weisman, Ginocchio Hotel, T&P Railroad Museum, Christmas Wonderland of Lights
- Carthage - Texas Country Music Hall of Fame, East Texas Oil & Gas Blast, Piney Woods Quilt Festival Rode Jamboree
- Henderson - Heritage Syrup Festival, Howard Dickinson House Museum, Depot Museum, antique shopping, Historic Downtown Square