The City of Hallsville is located in Harrison County in Upper East Texas on Interstate Highway I-20 and U.S. Highway 80 (Main Street).
The city is situated east of Marshall, and west of Longview.
Interactive Map of Hallsville Texas (courtesy of Google)
Map of Upper East Texas
Lake O' The Pines
Lake O' the Pines is located to the north of Hallsville on Big Cypress Creek in the Cypress River Basin, 25 miles northeast of Longview in Marion, Morris, Upshur, and Camp counties. It has a surface area of 16,919 acres, and a maximum depth of 49.5 feet. The lake was impounded in 1956.
This lake's diverse fish community offers many angling opportunities. White bass are native to the Cypress River Basin; the population is abundant and contains many legal-size fishes. Crappie, also popular with anglers, are quite abundant with large proportions of legal-size fish available.
Shown below is the entrance area to Brushy Creek Park at Lake O' the Pines in East Texas. Read more about Lake O' the Pines
Brushy Creek Park at Lake O' the Pines
Martin Creek Lake
Martin Creek Lake is located in Rusk County, south of Hallsville on Martin Creek 3 miles southwest of Tatum on Texas Highway 43. It covers a surface area of 4,981 acres, with a maximum depth of 35 feet. The lake was
impounded in 1974 to provide cooling water for a power plant.
Since Martin Creek is a power plant lake, water temperatures are elevated, especially during the winter months. Anglers are most successful at catching largemouth bass during the winter and early spring. Martin Creek Lake State Park, which consists of 286.9 acres, is located in the area.
Read more about Martin Creek Lake State Park
More East Texas Attractions
While visiting the Hallsville area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- Jefferson - antiques, Jay Gould's railroad car, Jefferson Carnegie Library, steam train rides, steamboats on Caddo Lake, B&Bs
- Gladewater - antique capitol of East Texas, Gusher Days, Roundup Rodeo, Helen Lee Daffodil Gardens
- Gilmer - East Texas Yamboree, Historic Upshur Museum, Lake Gilmer
- Kilgore - home of the East Texas Oil Museum and Kilgore College
- Joinerville Texas - Daisy Bradford oil discovery monuments and Great East Texas Oilfield markers, Gaston Museum
- Longview - Gregg County Fair & Exposition, Longview Museum of Fine Arts, R.G. LeTourneau Museum, Great Texas Balloon Race, historic buildings, shopping, restaurants
- Marshall - Michelson Museum of Art, Starr Family home State Historic Park, Harrison County Historical Museum, Ginocchio Hotel, T&P Railroad Museum, Christmas Wonderland of Lights
- Carthage - Texas Country Music Hall of Fame, East Texas Oil & Gas Blast, Piney Woods Quilt Festival Rode Jamboree
- Henderson - Heritage Syrup Festival, Howard Dickinson House Museum, Depot Museum, antique shopping, Historic Downtown Square
- Canton - First Monday Trade Days, Texas Horse Park, Splash Kingdom Water Park
- Athens - East Texas Arboretum, Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center, Cain Center and the Athens Scuba Park
- Gun Barrel City - Fishing, boating and outdoor activities around Cedar Creek Lake
- Palestine - Texas State Railroad, Davey Dogwood Park, Dogwood Trails Festival, Anderson County Courthouse
- Tyler - Municipal Rose Garden, TJC Planetarium, Caldwell Zoo, Tyler Museum of Art, Lake Tyler, Lake Palestine, Rose Rudman Recreational Trail, Cotton Belt Depot, Goodman-LeGrand House
Lodging Options in the Hallsville Area