Palestine Texas is a historic East Texas city featuring Victorian homes and bed & breakfasts, a variety of attractions, and modern hotels and restaurants.
Over 1,800 historical sites are located in Palestine, the county seat of Anderson County. The city, which has about 20,000 residents, is located at the intersection of U.S. highways 79 and 287, at the center of the county. It is about 47 miles southwest of Tyler via Highway 155, and 150 miles north of Houston. Settled in 1846, it experienced growth during the coming of the railroad era in the 1870s.
Hotels and Accommodations in Palestine Texas
Palestine has several motels, hotels and other accommodations.
Accommodations in nearby Tyler include a Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Select, Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Homewood Suites, Country Inn & Suites, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn, and others.
Palestine Area Attractions
A wide variety of attractions welcome the visitor to Palestine, including the Anderson County Courthouse, the Texas State Railroad, the Palestine Community Forest, and Elmwood Gardens. Davey Dogwood Park is home to more than 200 acres of picturesque roads meander throughout the park.
The park is featured during the annual Texas Dogwood Trails Festival to be held next on March 23-25, March 30 - April 1, and April 6-8, 2018. Admission is free.
While visiting Palestine and the Tyler area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- Jacksonville - to the south of Tyler on U.S. 69
- Love's Lookout - beautiful 30-mile vista to the East
- Canton - home of First Monday Trade Days
- Kilgore - home of the East Texas Oil Museum and Kilgore College
- Longview - historic buildings, shopping, restaurants
- Marshall - Marshall Pottery, Railroad Museum, more
- Lake Tyler - swimming, boating, fishing, skiing close-in to Tyler
- Lake Palestine - boating, fishing, swimming, marinas, waterfront restaurants
- Toledo Bend Reservoir - boating, fishing, swimming, marinas, hiking, camping, golf, resorts, restaurants
- Bullard - just south of Tyler, home of wineries and the Freedom Museum
Vintage Postcards from Palestine
Garrett Motor Company, downtown Palestine, Texas
I. and G.N. General Office, Palestine, Texas
I. & G. N. Railway Employees Hospital, Palestine, Texas
Historic postcard of Tex Ann Motel Palestine, Texas
Reagan Park in Palestine, Texas