Located southeast of Tyler on State Highway 110 is the City of Whitehouse, in Smith County. To the south of Whitehouse, on 110, is Troup, and to the east is the community of Arp.
Whitehouse is assigned telephone Area Code 903, and the Whitehouse Post Office is 75791. The population of Whitehouse as of 2006 was over 7,300 residents.
By the early 1870s the International-Great Northern Railroad made it practical to ship produce from Whitehouse, and a post office was established in 1873. Whitehouse was incorporated on March 16, 1953.
Whitehouse's name is reportedly derived from a whitewashed building near the railroad tracks that served as a school, church, and place for business meetings and social gatherings. Steam locomotives going through town stopped to take on water near the "white house," and soon the community itself became known by the term. The school district (WISD) preceded incorporated municipal government, and was largely responsible for the eventual formation of the city.
Welcome to Whitehouse, Texas
Whitehouse Texas Today
Today, Whitehouse is a vibrant, growing community. Many of its residents enjoy small town living in Whitehouse, and make the easy commute to jobs in Tyler. It features a number of new subdivisions offering a variety of home styles and sizes.
Many businesses provide services to area residents including a post office, Austin Bank, Southside Bank, Brookshires Grocery, veterinary clinics, flower shops, drugstores and others. A variety of restaurants are available including McDonalds, Burger King, Sonic, Dariy Queen and local eateries.
The annual YesterYear celebration held the last weekend in June is devoted to the history and heritage of the area.
Lake Tyler is located a few miles east of Whitehouse. Lake Tyler and Lake Tyler East, located adjacent to each other and connected via a canal, are the largest lakes in the Tyler area in addition to Lake Palestine.
Canal connecting Lake Tyler with Lake Tyler East (staff photo)
The two lakes cover nearly 5,000 surface acres, and function as a major recreation center for this area, and as a supply of drinking water for the Tyler area. Popular recreational activities include boating, water skiing, fishing, camping at Camp Tyler, hiking and swimming.
In addition, numerous homesites and waterfront lots make this a popular residential area with unlimited real estate options, from weekend camps to year-round upscale homes.
Important Whitehouse Links
City of Whitehouse - City services, contact information, calendar and more
Motels and Accommodations near Whitehouse Texas
Accommodations in nearby Tyler include a Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Select, Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Country Inn & Suites, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn, and others.
Map of Whitehouse Texas (Courtesy of Google Maps)
Whitehouse Area Attractions
About 50 miles west of Whitehouse is Canton, home of the world famous First Monday Trade Days.
While visiting Whitehouse and the Tyler area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- Jefferson - antiques, Jay Gould's railroad car, Jefferson Carnegie Library, steam train rides, steamboats on Caddo Lake, B&Bs
- Gladewater - antique capitol of East Texas, Gusher Days, Roundup Rodeo, Helen Lee Daffodil Gardens
- Gilmer - East Texas Yamboree, Historic Upshur Museum, Lake Gilmer
- Kilgore - home of the East Texas Oil Museum and Kilgore College
- Joinerville Texas - Daisy Bradford oil discovery monuments and Great East Texas Oilfield markers, Gaston Museum
- Longview - Gregg County Fair & Exposition, Longview Museum of Fine Arts, R.G. LeTourneau Museum, Great Texas Balloon Race, historic buildings, shopping, restaurants
- Marshall - Michelson Museum of Art, Starr Family home State Historic Park, Harrison County Historical Museum, The Weisman, Ginocchio Hotel, T&P Railroad Museum, Christmas Wonderland of Lights
- Carthage - Texas Country Music Hall of Fame, East Texas Oil & Gas Blast, Piney Woods Quilt Festival Rode Jamboree
- Henderson - Heritage Syrup Festival, Howard Dickinson House Museum, Depot Museum, antique shopping, Historic Downtown Square
- Canton - First Monday Trade Days, Texas Horse Park, Splash Kingdom Water Park
- Jacksonville - Tomato Fest, ATV Mud Nationals, Tops in Texas Rodeo
- Love's Lookout - beautiful 30-mile vista to the East
- Tyler - Municipal Rose Garden, TJC Planetarium, Caldwell Zoo, Tyler Museum of Art, Brookshire's Museum & Country Store, Lake Tyler, Rose Rudman Recreational Trail, Cotton Belt Depot, Goodman-LeGrand House
- Bullard - just south of Tyler, home of wineries and the Freedom Museum
- Edom Texas - Art galleries, Festival of the Arts, Artisans Trail, Blue Moon Gardens
- Toledo Bend Reservoir - boating, fishing, swimming, marinas, hiking, camping, golf, resorts, restaurants