The City of Timpson is located in Shelby County Texas on U.S. Highways 59 and 84.
|Population||989 residents in the 2020 Federal Census|
Interactive Map of Timpson Texas (courtesy of Google)
Map of East Texas
Lake Murvaul is located 15 miles west of Carthage and north of TImpson, on Murvaul Bayou in Panola County.
It features a surface area of 3,397 acres and a maximum depth of 36 feet. The controlling authority is the Panola County Fresh Water District, which completed the lake in 1958.
Predominant fish species caught in Lake Murvaul include largemouth bass, channel catfish, flathead catfish, crappie, bluegill and sunfish.
Visit the website of the Murvaul Marina for more information on camp sites, RV park, cabins, the pavilion, attractions and events at the lake.
East Texas Attractions
While visiting the Timpson area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- Jefferson - antiques, Jay Gould's railroad car, Jefferson Carnegie Library, steam train rides, steamboats on Caddo Lake, B&Bs
- Gladewater - antique capitol of East Texas, Gusher Days, Roundup Rodeo, Helen Lee Daffodil Gardens
- Gilmer - East Texas Yamboree, Historic Upshur Museum, Lake Gilmer
- Kilgore - home of the East Texas Oil Museum and Kilgore College
- Joinerville Texas - Daisy Bradford oil discovery monuments and Great East Texas Oilfield markers, Gaston Museum
- Longview - Gregg County Fair & Exposition, Longview Museum of Fine Arts, R.G. LeTourneau Museum, Great Texas Balloon Race, historic buildings, shopping, restaurants
- Marshall - Michelson Museum of Art, Starr Family home State Historic Park, Harrison County Historical Museum, The Weisman, Ginocchio Hotel, T&P Railroad Museum, Christmas Wonderland of Lights
- Carthage - Texas Country Music Hall of Fame, East Texas Oil & Gas Blast, Piney Woods Quilt Festival Rode Jamboree
- Henderson - Heritage Syrup Festival, Howard Dickinson House Museum, Depot Museum, antique shopping, Historic Downtown Square