The City of Center, Texas
Historic Shelby County Courthouse in Center, Texas
The City of Center is the county seat of Shelby County Texas, about 135 miles north of Beaumont. It is also 33 miles northeast of Nacogdoches, and 59 miles south of Marshall.
The city is situated at the crossroads of U.S. Highway 96 and Texas Highways 7 and 87. Its population is over 5,100 residents.
Shelby County is on the eastern boundary of Texas, across the Sabine River from Desoto and Sabine parishes in Louisiana. The county is bounded on the south by San Augustine and Sabine counties, on the west by Rusk and Nacogdoches counties, and on the north by Panola County.
Shelby County was one of the original thirteen counties in Texas, organized by the Republic of Texas Congress in 1837. The county was named for Issac Shelby, an American military hero and Governor of Kentucky.
Center is named for its location at the geographic center of the county. Its post office was first opened in 1866.
The Center Zip Code is 75395, and its Area Code is 936. For more information, visit the official website of the City of Center.
The Center City Hall is located at 617 Tenaha Street, Center, TX, 75395-3552. Phone 936.598.2941.
Center Texas and Shelby County Information & Resources
- City of Center
- Shelby County, Texas
- Shelby County Chamber of Commerce
- Center Independent School District
- Shelby County Historical Society
Area Tourism and Attractions
Center, Texas City Park
Shelby County is known as the "Gateway to the Texas Forest Country".
Center is located near Lake Pinkston and the massive Toledo Bend Reservoir, both offering camping and fishing amenities. The nearby Sabine National Forest offers numerous outdoor recreational options such as fishing, hunting, biking, and camping.
The county is a bird watcher's paradise and home to hundreds of species, populated by graceful water fowl and beautiful deep woods songbirds.
The historic Shelby County Courthouse, located downtown, is a 2-story Romanesque brick structure. The Shelby County Museum includes a variety of exhibits and artifacts about the area.
Popular local events include the What-A-Melon Festival in early July, and the East Texas Poultry Festival in October.
While visiting the Center area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- Jefferson - antiques, Jay Gould's railroad car, Jefferson Carnegie Library, steam train rides, steamboats on Caddo Lake, B&Bs
- Gladewater - antique capitol of East Texas, Gusher Days, Roundup Rodeo, Helen Lee Daffodil Gardens
- Gilmer - East Texas Yamboree, Historic Upshur Museum, Lake Gilmer
- Kilgore - home of the East Texas Oil Museum and Kilgore College
- Joinerville Texas - Daisy Bradford oil discovery monuments and Great East Texas Oilfield markers, Gaston Museum
- Longview - Gregg County Fair & Exposition, Longview Museum of Fine Arts, R.G. LeTourneau Museum, Great Texas Balloon Race, historic buildings, shopping, restaurants
- Marshall - Michelson Museum of Art, Starr Family home State Historic Park, Harrison County Historical Museum, The Weisman, Ginocchio Hotel, T&P Railroad Museum, Christmas Wonderland of Lights
- Carthage - Texas Country Music Hall of Fame, East Texas Oil & Gas Blast, Piney Woods Quilt Festival Rode Jamboree
- Henderson - Heritage Syrup Festival, Howard Dickinson House Museum, Depot Museum, antique shopping, Historic Downtown Square
- Nacogdoches - Spring azalea trails, Ruby Mize Azalea Garden, Mast Arboretum
- Rusk - Texas State Railroad, Cherokee Civic Theatre, Grapeland Drive Thru Safari
- Lufkin - Ellen Trout Zoo, Cotton Square Heritage Park, First Street Arts Center, Texas Forestry Museum
- Jacksonville - Tomato Fest, ATV Mud Nationals, Tops in Texas Rodeo
- Love's Lookout - beautiful 30-mile vista to the East
- Tyler - Municipal Rose Garden, TJC Planetarium, Caldwell Zoo, Tyler Museum of Art, Brookshire's Museum & Country Store, Lake Tyler, Rose Rudman Recreational Trail, Cotton Belt Depot, Goodman-LeGrand House
- Toledo Bend Reservoir - boating, fishing, swimming, marinas, hiking, camping, golf, resorts, restaurants
Center Texas Hotels and Motels
Map of Center Texas (courtesy of Google Maps)
Map Showing Location of the City of Center in East Texas
Welcome to Center Texas!