Coldspring, Texas, the county seat of San Jacinto County, is located southwest of Livingston, south of Onalaska and northeast of Conroe.
There are approximately twenty-five golf courses within a 50-mile radius of Coldspring.
Nearby, the Sam Houston National Forest, Lake Livingston, and Double Lake recreational area offer opportunities for camping, hiking, fishing, and water skiing.
Interactive Map of Coldspring Texas (courtesy of Google)
Map Showing Location of Coldspring in Deep East Texas
San Jacinto County Courthouse
San Jacinto County Court House in the City of Coldspring in Deep East Texas
Lake Livingston was built, and is owned and operated, by the Trinity River Authority of Texas (TRA) under contract with the City of Houston for water-supply purposes. It is located on the Trinity River in Polk, San Jacinto, Trinity and Walker counties.
It covers 90,000 acres, and is 31 miles long and 9 miles wide.
The lake is the second-largest lake located wholly within the state of Texas (Sam Rayburn Reservoir is larger).
Lake Livingston is a notable white bass fishery. White bass are plentiful and grow to large sizes. Also notable is the catfish fishery, dominated by blue catfish. Largemouth bass, striped bass, and crappie are less abundant but good catches are possible in areas of the reservoir where habitat is available.
Read more about Lake Livingston State Park.
The Livingston Dam, constructed across the Trinity River 7 miles southwest of the city of Livingston is 2.5 miles in length. The lake has an average depth of 55 feet, and a maximum depth of 90 feet.
Read more about Lake Livingston
Lake Livingston Dam
Other East Texas Attractions
While visiting the Coldspring area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- Livingston - Polk County Memorial Museum, Pedigo Park, Trade Days, Locomotive No. 5, Lake Livingston, Sam Rayburn Reservoir
- Groveton - Ratcliff Lake Recreation Area, Davy Crockett National Forest
- Crockett - Houston County Museum, Monroe-Cook House, Houston County Lake, Grapeland Drive-Thru Safari, Piney Woods Fine Arts Association
- Center - Toledo Bend Reservoir, Shelby County Museum, What-A-Melon Festival, bird watching
- Lumberton - Big Thicket National Preserve, Village Creek State Park, Village Creek Paddling Trail, and the Roy E. Larson “Sandyland” Sanctuary, The Ice House Museum, Kirby-Hill House, Hardin County Museum, County Seat Music Hall, Pelt Farm Museum, and Kountze Trade Days.
- Jasper - Toledo Bend Reservoir, Sandy Creek Park, Azalea Festival in March, Air Show in April, Jasper Lions Club Rodeo in May, a Fourth of July Celebration, and the Fall Festival in October.
- Woodville - Tyler County Dogwood Festival, Festival of the Arts and the Harvest Festival. Outdoor activities abound in the nearby Martin Dies Jr. State Park and the Big Thicket National Preserve.
- Newton - Toledo Ben Reservoir, Sam Rayburn Reservoir
- Hemphill - Recreational opportunities abound in the Hemphill area, with its closeness to the Sabine National Forest, Toledo Bend Reservoir, Sam Rayburn Reservoir and the Trail Between the Lakes. Also popular attractions are the Sabine County Jail Museum and Vergie Speights Memorial Library. In town is the Patricia Huffman Smith NASA "Remembering Columbia" Museum
- Port Arthur - Pompeiian Villa, Sea Rim State Park, Museum of the Gulf Coast, Sabine Pass Battleground State Historical Park, Dutch Windmill Museum and the French House
- Orange - Frances Lutcher Theater for the Performing Arts, Sangri La Botanical Gardens, W.H. Stark House, Stark Museum of Art, Blue Elbow Swamp & Tony Houseman WMA
- Nacogdoches - Spring azalea trails, Ruby Mize Azalea Garden, Mast Arboretum
- Rusk - Texas State Railroad, Cherokee Civic Theatre, Grapeland Drive Thru Safari
- Lufkin - Ellen Trout Zoo, Cotton Square Heritage Park, First Street Arts Center, Texas Forestry Museum
- Beaumont - Ben J. Rogers Regional Visitors Center, Beaumont Botanical Gardens, Crockett Street Entertainment District, McFaddin-Ward House and Museum, Texas Energy Museum, Fire Museum of Texas, Babe Didrikson Zaharias Memorial Museum, St. Anthony Cathedral Basilica, and the Big Thicket National Preserve
- Tyler - Municipal Rose Garden, TJC Planetarium, Caldwell Zoo, Tyler Museum of Art, Lake Tyler, Lake Palestine, Rose Rudman Recreational Trail, Cotton Belt Depot, Goodman-LeGrand House
- Toledo Bend Reservoir - boating, fishing, swimming, marinas, hiking, camping, golf, resorts, restaurants
Travel Information for the Coldspring Area