It is located on US 190 and 96 in Jasper County and called the "Jewel of the Forest".
The terrain surrounding the city ranges from hilly to level, and 85% forested by pines and hardwoods. Jasper's historic town square features the courthouse built in 1889, bed & breakfasts, art galleries, outdoor art sculptures, antique shops, murals, and the old county jail where county archives are housed.
Annual events nclude the Azalea Festival in March, Air Show in April, Jasper Lions Club Rodeo in May, a Fourth of July Celebration, and the Fall Festival in October.
Sandy Creek Park, downtown, features children's playground equipment, fishing ponds, walking trail, picnic areas, basketball courts, and a pavilion over the water.
Nearby lakes and state parks provide a variety of outdoor recreation for residents and visitos alike.
Jasper Website Resources
|In 2020, Jasper had a population of 6,884.|
Interactive Map of Jasper Texas (courtesy of Google)
Map Showing Location of Jasper in Deep East Texas
Jasper County Courthouse
Jasper County courthouse at 121 North Austin Street in the City of Jasper in Deep East Texas
Sam Rayburn Reservoir
Sam Rayburn Reservoir is located on the Angelina River, and its dam is located in Jasper County approximately 15 miles north of Jasper. The lake has a surface area of 114,500 acres, and a maximum depth of 80 feet. The lake was impounded in 1965.
The most popular game fish at Sam Rayburn Reservoir is the largemouth bass; an excellent year-round fishery exists. Habitat in Sam Rayburn Reservoir consists of submerged aquatic vegetation, standing timber, and flooded terrestrial vegetation.
Shown to the right is an overhead view of the Lake Rayburn dam (photo courtesy of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers)
Toledo Bend Reservoir
Toledo Bend Reservoir lies along the Texas-Louisiana border southeast of Tyler, and directly west of Many, Louisiana. This massive 185,000 acre lake is a project of the States of Texas and Louisiana, and has both recreational and power generation benefits.
As the largest man-made lake in the south, Toledo Bend forms a portion of the boundary between the states of Texas and Louisiana. The lake extends 65 miles to the north to near Logansport, LA.
Boating, fishing, skiing, camping, hiking, golfing and other recreational activities are popular around this lake. RV resorts, campgrounds, resorts, restaurants, marinas, and motels are all available along the 1,200 miles of shoreline of the reservoir.
In 2015, Bassmaster Magazine selected Toledo Bend Reservoir as the top fishery in the United States. Toledo Bend ranked above 230 potential lakes after the magazine conducted research and personal interviews with anglers from around the U.S.
Other East Texas Attractions
While visiting the Jasper area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- Livingston - Polk County Memorial Museum, Pedigo Park, Trade Days, Locomotive No. 5, Lake Livingston, Sam Rayburn Reservoir
- Coldspring - Davy Crockett National Forest, Sam Houston National Forest, Lake Livingston, Double Lake Recreational Area
- Groveton - Ratcliff Lake Recreation Area, Davy Crockett National Forest
- Crockett - Houston County Museum, Monroe-Cook House, Houston County Lake, Grapeland Drive-Thru Safari, Piney Woods Fine Arts Association
- Center - Toledo Bend Reservoir, Shelby County Museum, What-A-Melon Festival, bird watching
- Woodville - Tyler County Dogwood Festival, Festival of the Arts and the Harvest Festival. Outdoor activities abound in the nearby Martin Dies Jr. State Park and the Big Thicket National Preserve.
- Newton - Toledo Ben Reservoir, Sam Rayburn Reservoir
- Port Arthur - Pompeiian Villa, Sea Rim State Park, Museum of the Gulf Coast, Sabine Pass Battleground State Historical Park, Dutch Windmill Museum and the French House
- Orange - Frances Lutcher Theater for the Performing Arts, Sangri La Botanical Gardens, W.H. Stark House, Stark Museum of Art, Blue Elbow Swamp & Tony Houseman WMA
- Nacogdoches - Spring azalea trails, Ruby Mize Azalea Garden, Mast Arboretum
- Rusk - Texas State Railroad, Cherokee Civic Theatre, Grapeland Drive Thru Safari
- Lufkin - Ellen Trout Zoo, Cotton Square Heritage Park, First Street Arts Center, Texas Forestry Museum
- Toledo Bend Reservoir - boating, fishing, swimming, marinas, hiking, camping, golf, resorts, restaurants
Travel Information for the Jasper Area