The city was settled in 1897 along what is now Boston Avenue, and incorporated in 1940. It was settled by Dutch immigrants on land sold by the Kansas City Southern railroad. Nederland is a part of an area known as "The Golden Triangle", which comprises Beaumont, Port Arthur, and Orange. The city is adjacent to the Jack Brooks Regional Airport.
|Population||18,856 residents in the 2020 Federal Census|
|Nederland, Texas City Hall ... 207 N. 12th Street ... phone 409.723.1503
Interactive Map of Nederland Texas (courtesy of Google)
Map of South East Texas Counties and Major Cities
Dutch Windmill Museum
As a tribute to the heritage of Nederland, Texas, settled by immigrants from Holland in 1898, citizens of the city erected an exact replica of a Dutch windmill.
The design was one of many used in Holland and the 40 foot tall structure houses a museum.
Located in Nederland, Texas.
French House: La Maison des Acadienne
The house is a replica of early Acadian homes in South Louisiana and is called La Maison des Acadienne, “House of Acadia.” Labor and funds were donated and the structure was completed and dedicated in March 1976.
Admission is free and the French House is open the same days and hours as the Dutch Windmill Museum.
Located in Nederland, at 1515 Boston Avenue.
Jack Brooks Regional Airport
Jack Brooks Regional Airport, located in Jefferson County, serves an expanding regional population base in excess of 500,000 with connections to Texas and the world. It is located just minutes from anywhere in the Nederland, Beaumont, Port Arthur, and Orange geographic areas and only an hour from Lake Charles, Louisiana and Houston, Texas.
Over 30,000 passengers a year choose Jack Brooks Regional Airport with free parking just outside the entrance to our newly renovated (Spring 2009) 24,000 square foot terminal and quick check-in and security checks.
Situated on more than 1,180 acres, JBRA offers two runways with approach markers to accommodate commercial and executive aircraft. One runway is equipped with Instrument Landing System (ILS).
Scheduled jet airliner service to the DFW Airport is provided by American Eagle.
The airport also provides extensive general aviation and transportation services.
Sea Rim State Park
Offering more than five miles of natural Gulf of Mexico beach shoreline, Sea Rim State Park is where the marsh meets the surf, making it prime binocular-hunting grounds for numerous species.
Bring a kayak or canoe (or rent one at the park) and paddle along one of its paddle trails, or comb the sand for sea treasures that wash up on the shore.
Sabine Pass Battleground State Historical Park
The location of a significant Civil War battlefield, Sabine Pass Battleground State Historic Site tells the story of Confederate Lt. Richard “Dick” Dowling and his 46 men who thwarted an attempted Union attack on Sabine Pass, a primary Texas port for Confederate shipments of supplies and vital to the war effort.
Located at 6100 Dowling Road in Port Arthur.
More East Texas Attractions
While visiting the Nederland area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- Livingston - Polk County Memorial Museum, Pedigo Park, Trade Days, Locomotive No. 5, Lake Livingston, Sam Rayburn Reservoir
- Coldspring - Davy Crockett National Forest, Sam Houston National Forest, Lake Livingston, Double Lake Recreational Area
- Groveton - Ratcliff Lake Recreation Area, Davy Crockett National Forest
- Crockett - Houston County Museum, Monroe-Cook House, Houston County Lake, Silsbee Drive-Thru Safari, Piney Woods Fine Arts Association
- Center - Toledo Bend Reservoir, Shelby County Museum, What-A-Melon Festival, bird watching
- Lumberton - Big Thicket National Preserve, Village Creek State Park
- Jasper - Toledo Bend Reservoir, Sandy Creek Park, Azalea Festival in March, Air Show in April, Jasper Lions Club Rodeo in May, a Fourth of July Celebration, and the Fall Festival in October.
- Woodville - Tyler County Dogwood Festival, Festival of the Arts and the Harvest Festival. Outdoor activities abound in the nearby Martin Dies Jr. State Park and the Big Thicket National Preserve.
- Newton - Toledo Ben Reservoir, Sam Rayburn Reservoir
- Hemphill - Recreational opportunities abound in the Hemphill area, with its closeness to the Sabine National Forest, Toledo Bend Reservoir, Sam Rayburn Reservoir and the Trail Between the Lakes. Also popular attractions are the Sabine County Jail Museum and Vergie Speights Memorial Library. In town is the Patricia Huffman Smith NASA "Remembering Columbia" Museum
- Port Arthur - Pompeiian Villa, Sea Rim State Park, Museum of the Gulf Coast, Sabine Pass Battleground State Historical Park, Dutch Windmill Museum and the French House
- Orange - Frances Lutcher Theater for the Performing Arts, Shangri La Botanical Gardens, W.H. Stark House, Stark Museum of Art, Blue Elbow Swamp & Tony Houseman WMA
- Nacogdoches - Spring azalea trails, Ruby Mize Azalea Garden, Mast Arboretum
- Rusk - Texas State Railroad, Cherokee Civic Theatre, Silsbee Drive Thru Safari
- Lufkin - Ellen Trout Zoo, Cotton Square Heritage Park, First Street Arts Center, Texas Forestry Museum
- Beaumont - Ben J. Rogers Regional Visitors Center, Beaumont Botanical Gardens, Crockett Street Entertainment District, McFaddin-Ward House and Museum, Texas Energy Museum, Fire Museum of Texas, Babe Didrikson Zaharias Memorial Museum, St. Anthony Cathedral Basilica, and the Big Thicket National Preserve
Lodging Options in the Nederland & Port Arthur Area