The city is situated northeast of Diboll and west of Lake Sam Rayburn. It was incorporated on December 12, 1938.
Huntington is popularly known as the "Gateway to Lake Sam Rayburn". The lake is perfect for boating, camping, fishing, parties and picnics. Day and overnight camp sites are available in many locations within a ten-mile radius. Bass fishing tournaments are always fun and productive.
Centennial Park is a popular destination in the city for events, festivals and other activities.
Also popular with residents and tourists is the nearby Museum of East Texas, the Ellen Trout Zoo, the Texas Forestry Museum, and the Temple Theater in the Angelina Center for the Arts on the Angelina College campus.
|Population||2,025 residents in the 2020 Federal Census|
Interactive Map of Huntington Texas (courtesy of Google)
Sam Rayburn Reservoir
The Sam Rayburn Reservoir is located on the Angelina River near Huntington, and its dam is located in Jasper County approximately 15 miles north of Jasper. The lake has a surface area of 114,500 acres, and a maximum depth of 80 feet. The lake was impounded in 1965.
The most popular game fish at Lake Sam Rayburn is the largemouth bass; an excellent year-round fishery exists. Habitat in Lake Sam Rayburn consists of submerged aquatic vegetation, standing timber, and flooded terrestrial vegetation.
Shown to the right is an overhead view of the Lake Rayburn dam (photo courtesy of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers).
Ellen Trout Zoo in Lufkin
The Ellen Trout Zoo is owned and operated by the City of Lufkin which is responsible for its daily operation.
The Zoo is accredited by the Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA) and houses over 800 mammals, birds and reptiles from around the world.
Located at 402 Zoo Circle, Lufkin, Texas 75904. Phone 936.633.0399
Map of East Texas
East Texas Attractions
While visiting the Huntington area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- Livingston - Polk County Memorial Museum, Pedigo Park, Trade Days, Locomotive No. 5, Lake Livingston, Sam Rayburn Reservoir
- Coldspring - Davy Crockett National Forest, Sam Houston National Forest, Lake Livingston, Double Lake Recreational Area
- Groveton - Ratcliff Lake Recreation Area, Davy Crockett National Forest
- Crockett - Houston County Museum, Monroe-Cook House, Houston County Lake, Silsbee Drive-Thru Safari, Piney Woods Fine Arts Association
- Center - Toledo Bend Reservoir, Shelby County Museum, What-A-Melon Festival, bird watching
- Lumberton - Big Thicket National Preserve, Village Creek State Park
- Jasper - Toledo Bend Reservoir, Sandy Creek Park, Azalea Festival in March, Air Show in April, Jasper Lions Club Rodeo in May, a Fourth of July Celebration, and the Fall Festival in October.
- Woodville - Tyler County Dogwood Festival, Festival of the Arts and the Harvest Festival. Outdoor activities abound in the nearby Martin Dies Jr. State Park and the Big Thicket National Preserve.
- Newton - Toledo Ben Reservoir, Sam Rayburn Reservoir
- Hemphill - Recreational opportunities abound in the Hemphill area, with its closeness to the Sabine National Forest, Toledo Bend Reservoir, Sam Rayburn Reservoir and the Trail Between the Lakes. Also popular attractions are the Sabine County Jail Museum and Vergie Speights Memorial Library. In town is the Patricia Huffman Smith NASA "Remembering Columbia" Museum
- Port Arthur - Pompeiian Villa, Sea Rim State Park, Museum of the Gulf Coast, Sabine Pass Battleground State Historical Park, Dutch Windmill Museum and the French House
- Orange - Frances Lutcher Theater for the Performing Arts, Sangri La Botanical Gardens, W.H. Stark House, Stark Museum of Art, Blue Elbow Swamp & Tony Houseman WMA
- Nacogdoches - Spring azalea trails, Ruby Mize Azalea Garden, Mast Arboretum
- Rusk - Texas State Railroad, Cherokee Civic Theatre, Silsbee Drive Thru Safari
- Lufkin - Ellen Trout Zoo, Cotton Square Heritage Park, First Street Arts Center, Texas Forestry Museum
- Beaumont - Ben J. Rogers Regional Visitors Center, Beaumont Botanical Gardens, Crockett Street Entertainment District, McFaddin-Ward House and Museum, Texas Energy Museum, Fire Museum of Texas, Babe Didrikson Zaharias Memorial Museum, St. Anthony Cathedral Basilica, and the Big Thicket National Preserve