Mt. Pleasant Texas
Located about 80 miles northeast of Tyler on U.S. Highway 271 at its intersection with U.S. Highway 67 and Interstate I-30 is the City of Mt. Pleasant, the county seat of Titus County.
The population of Mt. Pleasant is about 15,000 residents. Elevation is 404 feet above sea level.
Members of the Caddo Indian Tribe remained in the area as the first pioneers from the United States began to settle Northeast Texas during the 1830s. The Caddos were known as builders of large burial mounds. Legend has it that they spoke of a "Pleasant Mound" in the central part of present-day Titus County. It is believed that the early Anglo settlers changed the name to "Pleasant Mount", and later the name evolved to Mount Pleasant.
Mt. Pleasant Texas Motels and Accommodations
In addition, there are other accommodations in nearby Tyler including a Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Select, Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Country Inn & Suites, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn, and others.
Welcome to Mount Pleasant, Texas
Area Attractions Near Mt. Pleasant Texas
The area is known for its outdoor activities, and great fishing on Lake Bob Sandlin and the state park located there. Also available are a number of parks and golfing opportunities.
Other popular attractions include the Larry Lawrence Antique Car Collection, the Legends & Lawless Museum, the Pleasant Jamboree, the Greer Farm & Ranch, Keith Kridler's Bluebird Trails, Heart's Bluff Game Ranch, Sleepy Hollow Daffodils, Whatley Center for Performing Arts, Willow Oak Art Center.
While visiting Mt. Pleasant and the Tyler area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- Mount Vernon - Fire Station Museum, bankhead Highway Visitors Center, Dupree Park Nature Center, Old Depot Museum, Cultural Arts Center
- Sulphur Springs - Celebration Plaza & Market, North East Texas Syphony, Southwest Dairy Museum & Learning Center
- Texarkana - Four States Auto Museum, Historic Perot Theater, Regional Arts Center, Discovery Place Museum, Millwood Lake
- Jefferson - antiques, Jay Gould's railroad car, Jefferson Carnegie Library, steam train rides, steamboats on Caddo Lake, B&Bs
- Gladewater - antique capitol of East Texas, Gusher Days, Roundup Rodeo, Helen Lee Daffodil Gardens
- Longview - Gregg County Fair & Exposition, Longview Museum of Fine Arts, R.G. LeTourneau Museum, Great Texas Balloon Race, historic buildings, shopping, restaurants
- Marshall - Michelson Museum of Art, Starr Family home State Historic Park, Harrison County Historical Museum, The Weisman, Ginocchio Hotel, T&P Railroad Museum, Christmas Wonderland of Lights
- Canton - First Monday Trade Days, Texas Horse Park, Splash Kingdom Water Park
- Tyler - Municipal Rose Garden, TJC Planetarium, Caldwell Zoo, Tyler Museum of Art, Brookshire's Museum & Country Store, Lake Tyler, Rose Rudman Recreational Trail, Cotton Belt Depot, Goodman-LeGrand House
Other Things to Near Mt. Pleasant Texas
Historic postcard of the Alps Cafe, Mount Pleasant, Texas
Historic postcard of the Hillcrest Motel, Mt. Pleasant, Texas