Mount Vernon, Texas
The square in downtown Mount Vernon, Texas
The City of Mount Vernon is located in Frankllin County Texas on Interstate Highway I-30. State Highway 37 traverses the city north to south, and U.S. Highway 67 passes through the city east to west.
The city is situated 80 miles west of Texarkana, and 104 miles east of Dallas. Its population is over 2,600 residents.
The Mount Vernon Zip Code is 75457, and its Area Code is 903. For more information, visit the official website of the City of Mount Vernon.
The Mount Vernon City Hall is located at 109 North Kaufman Street, with a mailing address of Post Office Box 597, 75457; phone the City Hall at 903.537.2252.
Mount Vernon Information & Resources
- City of Mount Vernon
- Franklin County Chamber of Commerce
- Mount Vernon Independent School District
- Mount Vernon Tourism
Area Tourism and Attractions
The historic Franklin County Court House in Mount Vernon, Texas
Mount Vernon has all the ingredients for the perfect getaway – hotels, relaxing B&Bs, historic homes, antique shops and more, just a stroll away from a historic, alive downtown. It also features an active arts community, and birding and nature tourism galore.
Some of the popular Mount Vernon attractions include:
- Fire Station Museum - Housed in a 1940 WPA-financed firestation, the museum is home to permanent as well as changing exhibits. Of note is the Don Meredith Memorabilia Exhibit, donated by Mount Vernon native and former Dallas Cowboy Quarterback Don Meredith. Memorabilia includes Monday Night Football Sports Jacket; Ring of Honor, extensive career and family photographs, and Cowboy Football Jersey.
- Bankhead Highway Visitors Center - Located in the home of Col. Henry Clay Thruston, the tallest soldier in the Civil War. It is located on historic Bankhead Highway, an early transcontinental route from Washington, D.C. to San Diego, California.
- Dupree Park Nature Center - 57 acre nature preserve with walking trails and pavilion
- West End Nature Preserve - 455 acres with trails
- Parchman House Living History Center - 1883 farmhouse with authentic architecture and original outbuildings. Located at 701 S. Kaufman.
- Old Depot Museum - restored 1894 Cotton Belt Depot featuring railroading exhibits, working telgraphy and model train layouts. Available for meetings, seminars and group gatherings.
Museum featuring the Don Meredith Exhibit in downtown Mount Vernon, Texas
- Old Jail Art Museum - housed in 1912 jail and features changing art exhibitions and permanent collections
- Historic Franklin County Courthouse - classic revivial white limestone structure built in 1912
- Franklin County Genealogy Society in the historic 1894 Parchman-Meredith Store building
- Mount Verson Music - house in historic, restored church, it hosts concerts and other live performances
While visiting the Mount Vernon area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- Mount Pleasant - Larry Lawrence Antique Car Collection, Lake Bob Sandlin, Greer Farm & Ranch, Sleep Hollow Daffodilas, Whatley Center for the Performing Arts
- Sulphur Springs - Celebration Plaza & Market, North East Texas Syphony, Southwest Dairy Museum & Learning Center
- Texarkana - Four States Auto Museum, Historic Perot Theater, Regional Arts Center, Discovery Place Museum, Millwood Lake
- Jefferson - antiques, Jay Gould's railroad car, Jefferson Carnegie Library, steam train rides, steamboats on Caddo Lake, B&Bs
- Gladewater - antique capitol of East Texas, Gusher Days, Roundup Rodeo, Helen Lee Daffodil Gardens
- Longview - Gregg County Fair & Exposition, Longview Museum of Fine Arts, R.G. LeTourneau Museum, Great Texas Balloon Race, historic buildings, shopping, restaurants
- Marshall - Michelson Museum of Art, Starr Family home State Historic Park, Harrison County Historical Museum, The Weisman, Ginocchio Hotel, T&P Railroad Museum, Christmas Wonderland of Lights
- Canton - First Monday Trade Days, Texas Horse Park, Splash Kingdom Water Park
- Tyler - Municipal Rose Garden, TJC Planetarium, Caldwell Zoo, Tyler Museum of Art, Brookshire's Museum & Country Store, Lake Tyler, Rose Rudman Recreational Trail, Cotton Belt Depot, Goodman-LeGrand House
- Lake Palestine - Boating, fishing, skiing and camping, just south of Tyler
Map of Mount Vernon Texas (courtesy of Google Maps)
Map Showing Location of Mount Vernon in East Texas
Scene in downtown Mount Vernon, Texas, showing the Library and water tower