The City of Malakoff is located in western Henderson County in Upper East Texas on Texas Highway 31.
|Population||2,179 residents in the 2020 Federal Census|
Interactive Map of Malakoff Texas (courtesy of Google)
Map of Upper East Texas
Cedar Creek Reservoir
Quiet bay at Cedar Creek Reservoir near Gun Barrel City, Texas
Cedar Creek Reservoir is located in Henderson and Kaufman Counties, Texas, 60 miles southeast of Dallas. It is built on Cedar Creek, which flows into the Trinity River.
It is also 15 miles west of Athens in the area between US 175 and Texas 274. The reservoir has a surface area of 32,623 acres, with a maximum depth of 53 feet, and is the fourth largest lake in Texas with over 320 miles of shoreline.
Sometimes called "Cedar Creek Lake", it is technically named Cedar Creek Reservoir, was completed in 1965 as a water source for Fort Worth and many other local communities in North Texas.
The lake is approximately 18 miles long and just over 2 miles wide. The shoreline stretches 220 miles from point to point. The lake also boasts three islands that are managed by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department as Wildlife Management Areas for aquatic birds.
Read more about Cedar Creek Reservoir
East Texas Attractions
While visiting the Malakoff area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- Jefferson - antiques, Jay Gould's railroad car, Jefferson Carnegie Library, steam train rides, steamboats on Caddo Lake, B&Bs
- Gladewater - antique capitol of East Texas, Gusher Days, Roundup Rodeo, Helen Lee Daffodil Gardens
- Gilmer - East Texas Yamboree, Historic Upshur Museum, Lake Gilmer
- Kilgore - home of the East Texas Oil Museum and Kilgore College
- Joinerville Texas - Daisy Bradford oil discovery monuments and Great East Texas Oilfield markers, Gaston Museum
- Longview - Gregg County Fair & Exposition, Longview Museum of Fine Arts, R.G. LeTourneau Museum, Great Texas Balloon Race, historic buildings, shopping, restaurants
- Marshall - Michelson Museum of Art, Starr Family home State Historic Park, Harrison County Historical Museum, The Weisman, Ginocchio Hotel, T&P Railroad Museum, Christmas Wonderland of Lights
- Carthage - Texas Country Music Hall of Fame, East Texas Oil & Gas Blast, Piney Woods Quilt Festival Rode Jamboree
- Henderson - Heritage Syrup Festival, Howard Dickinson House Museum, Depot Museum, antique shopping, Historic Downtown Square
- Canton - First Monday Trade Days, Texas Horse Park, Splash Kingdom Water Park
- Athens - East Texas Arboretum, Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center, Cain Center and the Athens Scuba Park
- Gun Barrel City - Fishing, boating and outdoor activities around Cedar Creek Lake
- Palestine - Texas State Railroad, Davey Dogwood Park, Dogwood Trails Festival, Anderson County Courthouse
Lodging in Nearby Gun Barrel City