Big Sandy Texas
The City of Big Sandy is located in Upper East Texas in southwestern Upshur County at the intersection of US Highway 80 and Texas State Highway 155. It lies 21 miles northeast of Tyler, and west of Gladewater and Longview.
The settlement was first known as Big Sandy Switch because a stretch of the Texas and Pacific Railroad was built through the area and eventually intersected with a narrow-gauge railroad called the Tyler Tap.
The Big Sandy City Hall can be reached at phone 903.636.4343.
Big Sandy Website Resources
City of Big Sandy Texas - Website
City of Big Sandy Texas - Facebook
|In 2020, Big Sandy had a population of 1,231 residents|
Interactive Map of Big Sandy (courtesy of Google)
Map of Upper East Texas
Other East Texas Cities and Attractions
While visiting the Big Sandy area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- Jefferson - antiques, Jay Gould's railroad car, Jefferson Carnegie Library, steam train rides, steamboats on Caddo Lake, B&Bs
- Gladewater - antique capitol of East Texas, Gusher Days, Roundup Rodeo, Helen Lee Daffodil Gardens
- Gilmer - East Texas Yamboree, Historic Upshur Museum, Lake Gilmer
- Kilgore - home of the East Texas Oil Museum and Kilgore College
- Longview - Gregg County Fair & Exposition, Longview Museum of Fine Arts, R.G. LeTourneau Museum, Great Texas Balloon Race, historic buildings, shopping, restaurants
- Marshall - Michelson Museum of Art, Starr Family home State Historic Park, Harrison County Historical Museum, The Weisman, Ginocchio Hotel, T&P Railroad Museum, Christmas Wonderland of Lights
- Tyler - Municipal Rose Garden, TJC Planetarium, Caldwell Zoo, Tyler Museum of Art, Lake Tyler, Rose Rudman Recreational Trail, Cotton Belt Depot, Goodman-LeGrand House
- Lindale - Old Mill Pond Museum, Hideaway Lake, Miranda Lambert Store & Red 55 Winery
- Mineola - Mineola Nature Preserve, Bigfoot Paddling Trail
Travel Information for the Big Sandy Area
Kaleidoscope Ranch is a breathtaking 60-acre ranch in East Texas north of Big Sandy at 1936 Silver Maple Road. The Ranch provides the perfect escape from the daily routine, allowing visitors time to reconnect with family, take photos with cute animals, and even gather your own eggs from our chickens each morning!
The Ranch has four cabins currently available to rent. Included is a fully equipped kitchen with everything you need to cook and dine. Linens and towels are provided. Family room with TV, DVD player, DVDs, games, and books.
While renting a cabin at the Ranch, visitors can hike with a herd of miniature donkeys, feed camels a snack, or brush the shire draft horses' flowing manes. How about hugging loveable Pickles the mini horse?
For detailed information and reservations, phone 903.347.2747, and visit the ...
Website of the Kaleidoscope Ranch