The City of Vidor is located in western Orange County in South EastTexas on Interstate Highway I-10, west of Orange and east of Beaumont. Located near the scenic Neches River, the City was incorporated in 1960.
The area was heavily logged after the construction of the Texarkana and Fort Smith Railway, later part of the Kansas City Southern (KCS) Railway that ran from Kansas City to Port Arthur. The city was named after lumberman Charles Shelton Vidor.
|Population||9,789 residents in the 2020 Federal Census|
Interactive Map of Vidor Texas (courtesy of Google)
Map of South East Texas Counties and Major Cities
Ben J. Rogers Regional Visitors Center
The Ben J. Rogers Regional Visitors Center provides information and assistance to travelers throughout the nine counties of Southeast Texas. It is located at 5055 Interstate Highway 10 South. Phone 409.842.0500 for opening hours and other information. (photo courtesy of Beaumont CVB)
Big Thicket National Preserve
The Big Thicket is an area of dense forest located north and northwest of Beaumont.
This 97,000 acre National Preserve protects a unique environmental confluence of swamps, coastal prairies, piney woods, plant life and animals.
Established in 1974, Big Thicket National Preserve protects a biologically significant portion of the Piney Woods of southeast Texas.
For more information visit the Big Thicket website at NPS
Blue Elbow Swamp & Tony Houseman WMA
Accessible from the Texas Travel Information Center just west of the Sabine River at Orange, the wildlife management area features a 600-foot-long boardwalk into the surrounding wetlands. Visitors and nature lovers will see bald cypress and tupelo trees and watch bald eagles, ospreys, herons, egrets, kingfishers and other wildlife.
More East Texas Attractions
While visiting the Vidor area, you may want to take other interesting day trips in several directions:
- Livingston - Polk County Memorial Museum, Pedigo Park, Trade Days, Locomotive No. 5, Lake Livingston, Sam Rayburn Reservoir
- Coldspring - Davy Crockett National Forest, Sam Houston National Forest, Lake Livingston, Double Lake Recreational Area
- Groveton - Ratcliff Lake Recreation Area, Davy Crockett National Forest
- Crockett - Houston County Museum, Monroe-Cook House, Houston County Lake, Silsbee Drive-Thru Safari, Piney Woods Fine Arts Association
- Center - Toledo Bend Reservoir, Shelby County Museum, What-A-Melon Festival, bird watching
- Lumberton - Big Thicket National Preserve, Village Creek State Park
- Jasper - Toledo Bend Reservoir, Sandy Creek Park, Azalea Festival in March, Air Show in April, Jasper Lions Club Rodeo in May, a Fourth of July Celebration, and the Fall Festival in October.
- Woodville - Tyler County Dogwood Festival, Festival of the Arts and the Harvest Festival. Outdoor activities abound in the nearby Martin Dies Jr. State Park and the Big Thicket National Preserve.
- Newton - Toledo Ben Reservoir, Sam Rayburn Reservoir
- Hemphill - Recreational opportunities abound in the Hemphill area, with its closeness to the Sabine National Forest, Toledo Bend Reservoir, Sam Rayburn Reservoir and the Trail Between the Lakes. Also popular attractions are the Sabine County Jail Museum and Vergie Speights Memorial Library. In town is the Patricia Huffman Smith NASA "Remembering Columbia" Museum
- Port Arthur - Pompeiian Villa, Sea Rim State Park, Museum of the Gulf Coast, Sabine Pass Battleground State Historical Park, Dutch Windmill Museum and the French House
- Orange - Frances Lutcher Theater for the Performing Arts, Sangri La Botanical Gardens, W.H. Stark House, Stark Museum of Art, Blue Elbow Swamp & Tony Houseman WMA
- Nacogdoches - Spring azalea trails, Ruby Mize Azalea Garden, Mast Arboretum
- Rusk - Texas State Railroad, Cherokee Civic Theatre, Silsbee Drive Thru Safari
- Lufkin - Ellen Trout Zoo, Cotton Square Heritage Park, First Street Arts Center, Texas Forestry Museum
- Beaumont - Ben J. Rogers Regional Visitors Center, Beaumont Botanical Gardens, Crockett Street Entertainment District, McFaddin-Ward House and Museum, Texas Energy Museum, Fire Museum of Texas, Babe Didrikson Zaharias Memorial Museum, St. Anthony Cathedral Basilica, and the Big Thicket National Preserve
- Toledo Bend Reservoir - boating, fishing, swimming, marinas, hiking, camping, golf, resorts, restaurants
Lodging Options in the Vidor and Beaumont Area
Important Area Weather Resources